Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Laying Up Treasue In Heaven

Last week I had a vision during worship that (for me) really clarified some of what it means to lay up for ourselves "treasure in heaven":

During worship at my Bible Study I saw myself and others, a great and numberless multitude, worshipping before the Throne of God. We are all singing and yelling and praising God with music, even though I couldn't see instruments anywhere.

As I continued in worship, the Lord said, "Look at yourself. What do you see?" This took me by surprise because I would normally think God wants me focused on Him -- we were in worship. I looked and noticed two things: that I was holding hands with the believers around me... and, in fact, everyone was holding hands. This seemed to symbolize a connection of some sort. I also noticed that my guitar was attached to my body. The guitar's neck went up my arm and was joined to it and the body of the guitar was joined to my torso. It was physically attached, physically a part of me -- if you removed the guitar you would be removing part of "Jason."

Then I was reminded of Matthew 6:19-21 "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

What I saw were two "treasures" that I am laying up in heaven, ones that are a part of my kingdom experience here on earth and which will not be taken away from me: relationships with people that are saved (or pre-saved, I think too) and worship through voice and guitar.

Seeing the guitar being a "part" of me drove the message home really clear. My guitar is the one possession I own which is entirely devoted to God. I started playing guitar shortly after becoming a Christian solely to worship God and have used it for that one purpose ever since. I know one secular song and have no interest in learning any others. This is an instrument and gift that is "holy unto the Lord."

The degree to which I use things on this earth for kingdom purposes will determine how much they are with me in heaven as treasures in heaven. But of particular meaning for me will be the use of my guitar and the time I spend with people for the purposes of God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home